Saturday, October 2, 2010

WIP: Celia Cumani Aintree ~ 1/8 scale Wonderfest garage kit

Hi guys, finally finished this third GK. I would really appreciate additional tips and suggestions so I can further enhance my skills for this wonderful hobby. I just skipped taking pics of the basic steps (cleaning, assembly, puttying) since almost all of us here are already proficient with those steps at least.



This is my compact workstation. Our house is small so I can't keep a dedicated workshop where you can just leave everything around. I setup, work then clean up afterward.



picture1514.jpg

picture1515.jpg



I messed up with the body armor's paint so I have no choice but to remove the paint by giving it a thinner wash. The problem is that the lacquer thinner I've used is somewhat too strong that it "softened" the resin and chipped a part of the armor (see the crack in the lower left corner). But then again, maybe I've used too much pressure as well.



picture1516.jpg



For the shiny armor finish, I've used Bosny's Chrome lacquer spray paint. The sole reason is that I don't know how to mix paints to achieve the stainless steel smooth finish, as well as the chrome shine. I've tried using Tamiya's Gun-Metal and Chrome colors and somehow they didn't meet my expectations.



picture1521.jpg



The problem with this chrome spray paint is that you can't apply a protective layer to it using clear or flat clear paints since it will take away the shine and will just leave you with a dull gray finish. Another problem is that when you press on the painted part too hard, you will leave fingerprints.



picture1517.jpg

picture1519.jpg



The eye-decal that came along with the kit was a life-saver. I can't imagine painting those lovely eyes myself. I daresay, the eyes carry a figure's elegance and "aura".



picture1530.jpg

picture1520.jpg



Thanks to the other WIPs I've seen here in the forums I've decided to give non-paint shading a try. I've used chalk pastels from our local art shop since they can be easily cleaned with water and cotton buds if you messed up. To preserve the shading, I usually add a layer of clear or flat clear depending on the surface.



picture1522.jpg

picture1523.jpg



I wanted to follow the kit's original color scheme but I was unable to find the right color so I mixed a bit of blue and purple for the cloth parts of the kit. Also, I colored the fine lines as gold instead of white, contrary to the original color scheme. Just for reference, do you guys know the exact color used in the original kit?



picture1525.jpg



And the finishing touches...



picture1526.jpg

picture1527.jpg

picture1529.jpg

picture1531.jpg

picture1532.jpg

picture1533.jpg



Finally, some photoshoot pics:



picture1534.jpg

picture1536.jpg

picture1538d.jpg

picture1540.jpg

picture1542.jpg

picture1548.jpg

picture1549.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment